Monday 8 October 2012

september soul searching

for the first year of little miss M's life, i made these all the time - they were very quick, easy, adaptable, fool-proof, enjoyable for Little Mr Z to help with, and totally fulfilled my breastfeeding-sweet-lardy-carb cravings that accompanied my mid-morning coffee. they could be easily whipped up if guests were coming over for coffee or tea. i wonder how many of these we ate that year!
now it is october a couple of years on and i'm making them again - why? i think in september and october i feel depressed and inspired in round-abouts. i start to re-evaluate my life and how i spend my time and how i relate to and care for my family.. some of it gets me down and i want more, i want change, i want to be better. i write endless lists and ideas, goals, dreams and prayers... i plan new businesses, new health regimes, new menus, new attitudes, new activities, new ways of disciplining, new friendships, new routines... a new me! lets see how much of it sticks. it may all fade and i will find all my lists next september and laugh.. or cry! let's hope the best bits and the manageable bits - the inspired and good bits - stick and make a positive difference. 
i start with a big batch of buttery cookies to eat while i drink coffee and write my lists.
this recipe is on a post-it note with 'favourite easy cookies' scrawled across the top. i think it came from my sister - thanks tri you always inspire me. 

gather:
3.5 cups flour
1.5 cups sugar
1 block butter
2 eggs
optional bits - chocolate chunks, almonds (halved), ground almonds, chopped apricots or raisins ...

1. preheat oven to 150C
2. mix the flour, sugar and butter with your finger-tips until well combined and like a crumble
3. stir in 2 eggs
4. optional - add 1/2 cup of any extra bits (dried fruit, nuts, chocolate)
5. spoon on to a greased tray and bake for 12 mins (remove from oven before they turn brown)

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks Lynne... the searching is continuing too far in to october!! :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your thoughtful musings on life. So real and encouraging.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Johanna. i do like these times of thinking things through and feeling inspired. just need to put it all in to practise... or at least down on paper :)

      Delete

thank you. i love your comments x